Each mouthful of this easy pasta is an explosion of flavours!
400g dried penne pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 bacon rashers, rind removed, very thinly sliced
600g chicken thigh fillet, excess fat trimmed, coarsely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, crushed
4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
75g (1 cup) sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
80ml (1/3 cup) white wine
1/2 teaspoon chicken stock powder
1 x 300ml ctn pouring cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh continental parsley
Garlic bread, to serve
Method Chicken penne pasta
1) Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain.
2) Meanwhile, heat the oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
3) Add the chicken to the frying pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until light golden. Transfer to a plate.
4) Heat the butter in the frying pan until foaming. Stir in the garlic, shallot, mushroom and mustard. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the mushroom softens slightly.
5) Add the wine and stock powder. Cook for 2 minutes or until the liquid almost evaporates. Stir in the chicken and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
6) Stir in the pasta. Sprinkle with the bacon and parsley. Serve with garlic bread.
Notes: Budget tip: Replace chicken with 1 x 425g can tuna, drained, flaked, and omit step 3.
Photography by Ian Wallace