Butternut Squash Soup: This is a great warming winter meal with some crusty bread. The fresh ginger gives it a nice spicy kick. …
2 1/4 lbs butternut squash
1 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 tablespoon butter
3 cups vegetable broth or 3 cups chicken broth
sour cream (to garnish)
Directions Butternut Squash Soup:
Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Prep Time: 1 hr
Cook Time: 10 mins
1) Preheat oven to 450.
2) Cut squash in half lengthwise, scoop out seeds and place cut side down on a baking sheet.
3) Roast the squash for 40-45 minutes or until it is very tender.
4) Allow squash to cool.
5) While the squash is roasting,saute the onion and ginger in the butter over a medium heat until the onion is translucent and soft.
6) Add the broth, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
7) Scoop the cooled squash from the skin.
8) Place half the squash and half the broth in a blender, puree until smooth.
9) Repeat with the other half of the squash and broth.
10) If needed, add water to achieve the desired consistency.
11) Return the soup to the sauce pan and reheat.
12) Salt and pepper to taste.
13) If desired, garnish each serving with a spoonful of sour cream.