- The application form.
- 2 Passport-sized Photos.
- 2 copies of your CNIC.
- Your original driving license.
- Fee ticket as mentioned in License Document.
- Medical reports.
- Ticket of the relevant license.
- Log in with your smartcard to the e-services portal of MOI.
- Click on “Traffic Services” and then “Driving Licenses”
- Click on “Driving License Renewal”
- Select whether to renew your driving license or that of another sponsored person.
- View the driving license information
Driving around Qatar is like a dream come true. Beautiful scenery, towering skyscrapers, and amazing architecture are a sight for sore eyes.
Although obtaining a private vehicle driving license in Qatar can seem like a long process with a lot of steps, it’s actually quite simple and straightforward. Replacing your old license, whether it’s damaged or lost, is just the same.
For non-Qatari residents, driving licenses last for five years and can be renewed 6 months before they expire. If you’re not sure how to renew your driving license in Qatar, we’re here to guide you through the process.
Table of contents
- Documents Required for Driver’s License Renewal
- Renewing Your Driver’s License in Qatar via MOI Website
- Renewing Your Driver’s License in Qatar Using the Metrash2 Mobile App
- Renewing Your Driver’s License at Traffic Department
- Don’t Forget
- When to Renew Your Driver’s License
Documents Required for Driver’s License Renewal
Since there are three methods to renew your driver’s license, which we’ll cover later on in the text, there are also different document requirements for each.
If you’ve decided to renew your driving license using the Metrash2 mobile app, you’ll only need your debit or credit card for the fee payment.
If you’re renewing your driving license directly at the Traffic Department, make sure to bring your old driving license, as well as your credit or debit card.
Lastly, if you’re renewing your driving license using the MOI website, you’ll need your smart ID card.
Renewing Your Driver’s License in Qatar via MOI Website
Luckily for all of us, renewing your driving license in Qatar became a simple and easy process thanks to the fact that the Ministry of Interior (MOI) moved most of its services online.
You no longer have to visit the Traffic Department in person and spend the day waiting for your turn. Nowadays, it only takes a couple of minutes and Internet access.
- The first thing you need to do when you decide to renew your driver’s license in Qatar is to visit the MOI website. If you’re a Qatari with a smart ID card, renewing your driver’s license online should be fairly easy. In case you don’t already have one, visit the government’s portal website and check all the requirements.
- Next, using your smart ID cart, log-in to the e-services portal of the MOI’s website where you can see all of the many e-services that the Ministry offers. The one you’re interested in now is ‘Traffic Services.’ You can access the portal here (https://eservices.moi.gov.qa/eservices-portal/).
- The next thing to do is to choose whether you’re renewing the driver’s license on behalf of some other person, or your own. If you choose to renew the driver’s license of another person, you can do so only if they’re under your sponsorship. As a sponsor, you’re seen as a guardian or a guarantor responsible for paperwork, opening a new bank account, or signing rental contracts. It is often the case that the employer is the sponsor of employees in Qatar.
- After you’ve read a bit more information about the driver’s license, it’s time to choose which type of driving license delivery you’d prefer. In the end, you pay all the necessary fees that are needed for driver’s license renewal and make sure to print all the receipts afterward.
- When it comes to the fee, it is different for Qataris and the residents. For those living in Qatar, the driving license renewal fee is QR 500 with QR 20 delivery fee when applicable. For residents, it’s a bit cheaper – the fee is QR 250 with a QR 20 delivery fee, when applicable. The main difference between the prices comes from the fact that the driving license for Qataris lasts for 10 years, while it’s only 5 years for residents.
Renewing Your Driver’s License in Qatar Using the Metrash2 Mobile App
One of the easiest ways to renew your driver’s license is by using the Metrash2 app. This method is especially popular thanks to the fact that it doesn’t require you to have a smart ID, which a lot of people still don’t use.
If you’re not sure how to renew Qatar driving license using the Metrash2 mobile app, here are all the steps you need:
- Open the Metrash2 App on your mobile phone and log in
If you haven’t registered for Metrash2 before, make sure to do that first.
- Click on the ‘Traffic’ icon
- Click on the ‘License Service’ icon
- Click on ‘Renew Driving License’ icon
- Enter the QID number and then click ‘Next’
- Choose the delivery method you prefer (QPost or Traffic Department) and then click ‘Next’
Note: after this step, you will have to pay the delivery fee of QR 20 for QPost delivery.
- If you chose QPost delivery as your method, the next step is to enter your home address, and then click ‘Next’
The information you’ll need to enter to complete this step: your Zone number, Street number, Building number, and Unit number
- Complete the online payment using your credit or debit card
You can choose to receive the receipt as PDF file sent to you via email
- Your Driver’s License should be delivered to you within a week
Note: If you’ve opted for collection from the Traffic Department, you have to visit the Traffic Department and pick up your License
How to Track your QPost Delivery
We get it, waiting for a delivery is always boring, even to the most patient ones, which is why tracking your delivery can be super useful. Here are the steps on how you can track the delivery status of your Driver’s License:
- Go to the MOI Website and, under ‘MOI Services -> Inquiries’, find and click on QPost Services
- Click on ‘QPost Requests Tracking’
- Enter your verification code and QID number, and click ‘Search’
With this, you’ve enabled the option to see the status of your delivery. Usually, the delivery of driving licenses takes less than a week.
Renewing Your Driver’s License at Traffic Department
For those who are not interested in using all these online services, the old-school method of renewing your driver’s license is always a safe choice. Here’s how you can renew your Driver’s License at Traffic Department:
- Visit your Traffic Department office
- Take a token from the reception
- Once your token number is displayed on the screen, walk to the counter and give your old Driver’s License
- Using a Credit or a Debit card, pay the fee
- Within a few minutes, you will get your renewed Driver’s License
Your Qatar Driving License can be renewed only within six months ahead of, or after its expiry date.
Driving without a valid driving license issued by the proper authorities in Qatar brings severe penalties, one of them being a hefty fine, or even imprisonment.
As required by law, every person that drives a motor vehicle on a road must be carrying their driving or provisional license.
Motorists are also able to apply for a new license to replace their old ones using the Metrash2 App. The same procedures apply to them.
Not one person is allowed to drive a motor vehicle on a road in Qatar if they’re not a holder of a valid license that’s endorsed in respect to that vehicle.
When to Renew Your Driver’s License
As a responsible driver and citizen, renewing your driver’s license should be the first thing you do the moment it expires. If you’re not able to do so, make sure that you renew it within six months of the expiry date.
Once your driver’s license is renewed, make sure to be a responsible driver – follow the rules and regulations of driving, both those unique to Qatar, and those universal for all of us no matter where we are.