Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad – تميم بن حمد آل ثاني ; Emir of Qatar
Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad (تميم بن حمد آل ثاني) bin Khalifa Al Thani born 3 June 1980 is the eighth and current Emir of the State of Qatar. He is the fourth son of the previous Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. He became Emir of Qatar on 25 June 2013 after his father’s abdication.
Sheikh Tamim has held a variety of government posts within Qatar and also worked to promote numerous sporting events within the country. As of 2013, Tamim is the world’s youngest reigning monarch. Indeed he supervised Qatar’s successful bid to host the 2022 FIFA World Cup.
- OCA Award of Merit (Olympic Council of Asia, 2007)
- “Best Sport Personality in the Arab World” in 2006 (by vote in the popular Egyptian newspaper Al Ahram)
- Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahayan Medal (United Arab Emirates, 2004)
- Sheikh Essa Bin Salman Al Khalifa Medal (Bahrain, 2004)
Sheikh Tamim was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the Qatar Armed Forces upon graduation from Sandhurst. He became the heir apparent to the Qatar throne on 5 August 2003, when his elder brotherSheikh Jasim renounced his claim to the title. Since then he was groomed to take over rule, working in top security and economics posts. Working in a government security post, he promoted stronger ties with Saudi Arabia, a neighbour and often contentious rival to Qatar. He is believed to have played a key role in Qatar’s support for the Libyan rebels who ultimately ousted Muammar Gaddafi. In 2009, he was appointed deputy commander-in-chief of Qatar’s armed forces.
Sheikh Tamim promoted sport as part of Qatar’s bid to raise its international profile. In 2005 he founded Qatar Sport Investments, which owns Paris Saint-Germain F.C. among other investments. In 2006, he chaired the organizing committee of the 15th Asian Games in Doha. Under his leadership, all member countries attended the event for the first time in its history. That year Egypt’s Al Ahram voted Tamim “the best sport personality in the Arab world”. Under his guidance, Qatar won the rights to host the 2014 FINA Swimming World Championships and the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Tamim is a member of the International Olympic Committee and theNational Olympic Committee chairman. He headed Doha’s bid for the 2020 Olympics.
Sheikh Tamim heads the Qatar Investment Authority board of directors. Under his leadership, the fund has invested billions in British businesses. It owns large stakes in Barclays Bank, Sainsbury’s, and Harrods. The fund also owns a share of Europe’s tallest building, the Shard.
Tamim has also held a number of other posts including:
- Head of the Upper Council of the Environment and Natural Sanctuaries.
- Chairman of the Supreme Council for the Environment and Natural Reserves.
- Chairman of the Supreme Education Council.
- Chairman of the Supreme Council of Information and Communication Technology.
- Chairman of the board of directors of Public Works Authority (Ashghal) and the Urban Planning and Development Authority (UPDA).
- Chairman of the board of regents of Qatar University.
- Deputy chairman of the Ruling Family Council.
- Vice president of the Supreme Council for Economic Affairs and Investment.
- Deputy chairman of the High Committee for Coordination and Follow Up.
- Member of “Sports for All”.