Following the abolition of the Kafala system a lot of confusion has pervaded among expats due to conflicting information surrounding issues such as the procedure to switch jobs or seeking exit permits.
In order to clear confusion surrounding such issues the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs (MALDSA) has issued guidelines for the benefit of the expats. The guidelines are as follows:-
- The new employer should have an approval of the same nationality, gender and profession.
- There should be no restrictions against the new employer that could prevent the job switch.
- The worker is required to submit a notice 30 days before the contract comes to an end in case the contract is fixed-term.
- If the contract is open-ended, the worker should stay not less than five years in service of an employer and notice period would be as follows:
- 30 days, if the duration of service is five years
- 60 days, if the duration of service is more than five years
- The age of such an expat worker must not be more than 60 years.
- Target sector (Private Sector)
- In case of arbitrariness or conciliation, workers have been advised to attach the documentation that proves such a process.
- All applications and approvals are subject to all terms and conditions announced by MALDSA.
If you come across any problems or technical issues, expat workers have been advised to get in touch with the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs (MALDSA).