Updated at 9:15pm with statement from Mall of Qatar
Thousands of people crowded into the Mall of Qatar this morning for the grand opening of popular electronics store Sharaf DG.
But after hours of waiting to take advantage of some doorbuster deals, they were turned away, as authorities canceled the launch over safety concerns.
In a statement, the store said that over 20,000 people had shown up for the official opening.
It apologized for the inconvenience caused by the cancelation of the launch and added that promotions would be released “in a staggered manner over the next few days.”
Though the store was closed today, it has been open since last month. Today was only expected to be its grand launch.
Meanwhile, MOQ echoed Sharaf DG’s concerns about safety.
In a statement on Wednesday evening, it said the promotion was canceled due to an “overwhelming number of visitors to the store that exceeded the number of people permitted by guidelines and was, as such, deemed unsafe.”
Did anyone go to MOQ today? Thoughts?