Can I be arrested in Kuwait if I left Dubai a year ago with unsettled credit card payments? NM, India

The countries of the GCC have separate legal systems and if a police case has been registered against someone in the UAE, it does not follow that there will be a case registered in the other countries. In fact just having left a credit card debt does not automatically mean that a police case is outstanding, as a bank has to register a case and does not do so in every case. All debts should be repaid to avoid consequences, but NM should contact the bank in the UAE to find out if it has registered a police case as well as agreeing a payment plan.

Keren Bobker is an independent financial adviser with Holborn Assets in Dubai, with more than 20 years’ experience. Contact her at [email protected]. Follow her on Twitter at @FinancialUAE

qatar airways

The advice provided in our columns does not constitute legal advice and is provided for information only. Readers are encouraged to seek appropriate independent legal advice