Nearly everyone in Qatar today has a smartphone and access to high speed internet. It won’t be wrong to say that Qatar has become a tech-savvy country. The internet penetration in the country currently stands at more than 80% and Qatar is poised to become one of the most technological advanced country in the coming years as projects such as Lusail Smart City.
Shopping online is a totally new thing in the entire Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region and it is human nature to treat new things with scepticism. Although people are used to shopping in the Souqs, the malls, supermarkets etc. where they get to see, touch and check out the things before buying them, online shopping is slowly by steadily and surely picking up pace in Qatar. Online shopping is expected to grow in summer of this year in Qatar as the sweltering heat makes it very inconvenient to venture out and also due to the entry of many new e-commerce players such as AtPik into the Qatari market. Today, we are going to tell you about the most popular shopping apps in Qatar, based on the number of downloads from the Apple AppStore:
1. AliExpress Shopping App: Powered by the AliBaba group this app offers thousands of brands and millions of products at an incredible value, no wonder the app is the most popular shopping app in Qatar. The website is currently offering $100 million in coupons as part of its 7th anniversary sale. The group offers free shipping on 75% of the products listed and app supports 8 different currencies for payment.
2. JollyChic: This lesser known app, although the second most popular shopping app in Qatar, claims to offer 100, 000 women’s and men’s fashion clothing, shoes, t-shirts, electronics, makeup, dresses, bags, jewellery, and home décor. The app accepts payment through VISA, MasterCard, and PayPal, although, Cash on Delivery is also available for customers in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Kuwait, and Bahrain.
3. Namshi: Established in 2011, Namshi.com has become one of the most preferred sites for people in the GCC to shop online and its app takes the 3rd spot on our list. Namshi.com has made it easy for customers to choose from over 500 globally recognised brands all from the comfort of their homes. The site allows shoppers to pay by credit card or by cash on delivery and also offers 14-day window for customers to exchange the products without any additional cost. Currently, over 7000 items are up for sale with hefty discounts on Namshi.com. The items include watches, shoes, jewellery, bag and much more. It is a must check out.
4. SheIn: This company deals only in women’s clothing, shoes and fashion items and takes the 4th spot on our list of most popular shopping apps in Qatar. SheIn boasts that the average products it sells are priced around $20 and over 200 new items are added to the catalogue each day.
5. Mzad Qatar: Mzad is a Qatar based online market place where people can buy and sell second hand and new things. The outlet has everything on offer from cars to gifts, foods to video games. It is a platform that does not own any of the products, it just acts as a medium between the buyer and seller by hosting the ads on its space. Since, it has secured the 5th spot on the list, it is clear that it is very popular.