Visit Visas are applicable to tourists, who intend to spend more than 14 days in Qatar, and those coming for family visits as well as those on long-term business visit. It requires the sponsorship of a resident in Qatar or any company or hotel licensed to operate within the country.
Citizens of 33 nations can obtain a one month visit visa on arrival at Doha International Airport. Among the nationals who can obtain visit visa on arrival are Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Britain, Brunei, Canada, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iceland, Italy, Ireland, Japan, Luxemburg, Liechtenstein, Malaysia, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Mario, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA and Vatican.
However, visitors from other nations who are not included among these 33 nations will have to obtain a visa prior to their arrival in Doha.
Visas are not required for nationals of UAE, Bahrain, Kuwait, Sultanate of Oman, Saudi Arabia and residents 0f GCC or Arab States who hold prestigious positions including medical doctors, businessmen, engineers and people in such other authorized professions.
Confirm with your airline if you are valid for the visa on arrival, before paying for your airline ticket.
Visit Visa for GCC residents
GCC residents are usually given visit visas on arrival at the Doha International Airport. However, to obtain this visa, they should have a GCC residence permit and passport with validity of at least six months. The visa will be valid for one month and can be extended for another 3 months if required. The applicant for such a visa should hold a return ticket.
Family Visit Visa
Families of sponsored residents may enter Qatar on a short-term Family Visit Visa. The visa holds one month validity. However, relatives who wish to stay beyond one month may have to undergo physical examination within the first 72 hours of arrival and seek an extension. The visa can be extended to maximum of six months (five months in cases of immediate family members and two months for second-degree relatives).
Visa Application Process
Expatriates visiting Doha are required to have a passport and a visa. Therefore, if planning a visit to Doha, begin the visa application process atleast a month in advance to your trip.
- Obtain an invitation letter from the person inviting you to Doha. The letter should state the reason for your visit, along with a copy of author’s resident permit. If you are visiting Doha without an invite from anybody in the country, write a letter yourself explaining the reason for your visit.
- Download the State of Qatar Entry Visa Application Form, and complete the application by typing or printing neatly in black ink.
- Make two photocopies of your passport. Make the fee payment in the form of cheque or money order, payable to “Embassy of the State of Qatar.”
- Mail your application, passport, supporting materials such as three months bank statement of the applicant, the person’s residence permit copy, authentic proof of relation between applicant and the person, etc., and a prepaid envelope to the Embassy of Qatar at the address provided on the form. Else, you may wait until your arrival in the country and submit your documents at the airport, but it is better not to do this, as the country might deny your visa request.
- Most of all, your passport should hold a validity of at least six months or longer than duration of your trip, and should include blank visa pages.
- On approval of the visa, a Qatar visa will be affixed to a visa page in your passport. Your passport will be returned by mail using prepaid envelope you provided.
Visit Visa Fee
A fee of QR200 is applicable for each visa, and QR50 is charged for each registered dependent or companion. The visa is valid for one month, and for extending the visa further, QR200 will have to be paid per month.
All residents, except women and children sponsored by their father or husband, will require an exit visa before leaving Qatar. Exit permits are usually arranged by sponsors.
Authorized users can complete the procedure of exit visa online by logging on to http://portal.www.gov.qa/wps/portal/topics, or in person by going to MOI Passports and Airport Security Department. Else, there are immigration offices in Hamad Medical Corporation, Al Dayin, Al Khor, Al Shahaniya, Mesaimeer, Q-Post, Doha Industrial Area, Souq Waqif, Al Wakrah, Al Shamal, Dukhan, and Umm Salal.
Exit permits can be either single or multiple. For online applications, select the exit permit type, and fill in all required fields including the applicant ID and passport numbers and pay requisite fee.
A single exit permit costs QR10, while the cost of multiple exit permit is QR500, with validity of one year.
These visas are granted to tourists through hotels or tourist agencies that have such a facility, on prior approval from competent authorities. It is also granted to relatives of Qatar residents through Qatar Airways. This visa holds one month validity and is non-extendable.
For obtaining tourist visa, fill in the application form and submit it through Hotel Manager or his representative. Attach other requisite documents such as passport copy of the visitor, original establishment ID card of hotel or tourist agency, and ID of the applicant.
Tourist visa issuance fee is QR100 for a visa and QR50 for accompanying person. Overstay will be charged a penalty of QR200 per day.
In cases of tourist visas being applied through Qatar Airways, the visiting person should be a relative or in-law of the sponsoring resident in Qatar, with first or second category relationship. Attach copy of the passport, and document that supports relationship like birth certificate or other official document, along with application form.
Transit travellers stopping at Doha International Airport for 6 hours or more are eligible for the two days transit visa, provided, they are sponsored by the Airlines, and their application confirms onward booking to a third destination.
It is now possible for nationals and residents to purchase an e-gate card prior to going on vacation. This can help avoid normal immigration hassles. The e-gate card can be inserted at the e-gate and you can place your finger on a biometric scanner. These cards can be obtained at the airport immigration office, located opposite the airport at a cost of QR150 per year, QR250 for two years and QR350 for three years. However, make sure that you carry your ID card with you.