Residence and work permits, in the State of Qatar, have become easy and simple after the recently revised labor law, which is flexible in protecting all rights of the two working parties. Therefore, you can bring your family, to live with you in Qatar. Meanwhile, your wife can work in Qatar, but after registering in Recruitment Department at the Ministry of labor and Social Affairs.

The Residency Permit – the basics

All newcomers wishing to work and live in Qatar require a Work Residence Permit (commonly referred to as an RP) for which they will need a Qatari sponsor (company or individual).
It is typically the responsibility of the sponsor to handle all paperwork required to obtain the Residence Permit on behalf of the worker. When a worker first enters Qatar, their sponsor will arrange for a temporary visa which is then converted to a Work Residency Permit – a process that typically takes 2-4 weeks and sometimes longer. Applicants may not leave the country during the period of visa-to-permit conversion.

The Residency Permit

Once a worker receives their Work Residence Permit he or she can then access many other services, apply for further permits and licenses, sign a rental accommodation agreement, apply for a loan, and the list goes on.
Another key benefit of the Residence Permit is that it allows the worker to personally sponsor their immediate family members (spouse, sons, daughters) to join them and live in Qatar (see Family Residence Visa below).
Work Residence Permits are renewed each year by the worker’s sponsor.

Family Residence Visa – permission for your family to stay

qatar airways

Expatriate workers can sponsor their immediate family members. Every family member, including infants, must have an individual Family Residence Visa. The Visa can be purchased for a period of 1-5 years and is stamped in each family member’s passport.
Applicants are required to submit a number of documents, including authenticated marriage and birth certificates, no-objection letter and salary certificate from their employer.

Registering as a Working Woman

A woman who is in Qatar on a family sponsorship and who has approval from her husband may register to work without obtaining a separate work permit. Applicants may visit the Labor Department to complete the application process.


You can also read the following articles:

Residence Permits in Qatar

Entry to Qatar for work and residence

Changes to Qatar’s kafala law

About Qatar and visas

Qatar visa information