Question: I am currently working under an open-ended employment contract and have completed 4 years and 7 months. My employer plans to give me a new contract by the end of this month, probably another open-ended contract. In case I decide not to accept the new contract, am I entitled for a grace period to find a new employer? What will be the chances of changing jobs if my employer cancels my visa? Please advise.

A: As per the new entry, exit law (Law No 21 of 2015), the employee can change the job with the approval of the appropriate authority, either after the expiry of their contract or after five years of service if the employee’s contract is an indefinite contract.

In case of termination of the employment contract, the employee can have up to three months’ time as a grace period to find a new employment by notifying the Ministry of Administrative Development, Labour and Social Affairs. When the worker has found a new job, he is required to return to the ministry and present his new employment contract.

qatar airways

If the employee wishes to change the employment either after the expiry of their contract or after five years of service in case of indefinite contract, he or she shall require to seek permission from their existing employer.

In case of cancellation of residency permit, the person will be able to return to Qatar to take up employment immediately after being granted a new visa.

The new law abolishes the current two-year ban on expatriates who want to come back to the country on a new visa. An expatriate who has got a new contract to work in Qatar can come back even the next day.

Now, there is no requirement of a no-objection certificate from the previous employer for a former resident to take up a new job in Qatar.

Source: Qatarday