As you sail down the roads of Doha, for a period you probably passed a bright red land cruiser with yellow trimmings and the word ‘Lekhwiya’ printed on its side in English. Arabic parked along the edge of the street or close to traffic signals in vital areas around the nation. Furthermore, to be completely honest, I have been very wonder of these big red vehicles and also nervous when I pass them. For a long time, I was shocked exactly at what they did as I didn’t regularly observe them with blazing lights racing through the nation’s streets like few of the police vehicles seen around Doha. That which I thought was expected to do some research on Qatar’s internal security force called Lekhwiya to figure out what they did and what their responsibility. This is the thing that I learned:
The word ‘Lekhwiya’ is an Arabic word, which is derived from the Qatari word of ‘khoi’ which means brother. The word used by the Qatari peoples for the tribesmen who remained nearby to the ruler. It was the responsibility of these tribesmen to collect the tax from people in public, maintain security and honesty of the society, maintain law and order for the area. And make sure the nation was being driven by the love for god, nationality and love for the ruler.
The Lekhwiya security power was established as per Law No.12 of 2004 under the authority of His Highness Sheik Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani. Who led the nation before his child His Highness The Amir Sheik Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani took over. Lekhwiya is directly connected with the Amir.
Lekhwiya believes in the degree of fairness and its vision is to keep Qatar a secure, stable and peaceful nation. It tries to make sure each person and in society all are safe so the nation can progress and flourish financially, culturally and socially.
Lekhwiya as a matter of first importance is crucial to maintain stability and security in Qatar. Make sure Qatar and its people stay safe so the nation can move ahead.
Lekhwiya’s qualities work clearly and genuinely to ensure the degree of justice and fairness in maintaining the government welfare and the privileges of the people in Qatar – nearby and expats – with shared regard and responsibility without being authoritarian in its activities.
The responsibilities of the Lekhwiya contain, but they are not limited to:
- Mobilising because of security dangers against the state. These contain terrorism and different acts that may compromise Qatar’s internal security,
- Ensuring that all visiting vip, heads of states, and VIP visitors to Qatar are safe during their time,
- Helping and supporting different state organizations in maintaining generally security and stability within the nation,
- Giving security to significant meetings and occasions and other public places,
- Shielding the land border and coastal line,
- Investigating crimes that lie in its ward. For example, combating smuggling and illegal entry into the nation along with managing rioting and firing materials and arms
- Preventing hostility on the environment and marine establishments.
Lekhwiya has an emergency hospital which is unique in the district and was planned to satisfy the needs of the internal security force. It has a limit with eight people and it is used only for crisis cases. When Lekhwiya takes part in worldwide humanitarian guide causes like the UN Peacekeeping mission in Lebanon (UNIFIL)
The emergency hospital is outfitted with a certified medical team, an operation room that can manage medical surgeries. A lab for medical research and a pharmacy. It contains an x-ray machine, defibrillator, ECG ultrasound machine, seven blood pressure devices and four suction devices.
Lekhwiya cadres need to experience through preparing programmes to make sure they are skilled and capable enough to deal with security challenges in accordance with the most recent developments in the world. These contain particular training, drills and workshops and compulsory courses identified with expertise in the fields of security, organization and medical.
The purpose behind these training programs is to:
- Survey the degree of unit’s readiness to react and manage emergencies,
- Feature their readiness in reacting to emergencies and disasters and assess measures taken during the reaction regarding search, rescue and relief activities,
- Make sure the units can release their responsibilities in a better manner to secure the nation and protect the government welfare of the network in all by maintaining Lekhwiya’s vision and its qualities.
Moreover, to safeguard the nation and protect its sovereignty, Lekhwiya is protecting local people and expats so that they can live and work in a safe and secure environment.
Lekhwiya created imaginative devices like the smart jacket to secure construction laborers while they are working in various projects all over Qatar. The smart jacket has a helmet cooling system, which will keep the work cool. And there is a chip in it which will show the condition of the laborer if he is presented to over the stress, abnormal breathing or an increased heart pulse can be followed by the control room so medical help should be must. The smart jacket is solar oriented and contains voice dialing.
The Lekhwiya has also designed (to be created by a Chinese company) a successful array of best in class security devices that add to the general security of the nation and guarantee for everyone feels safe and secure within its borders. These contain a cross-sectional scanning device, eye sensor, programmed explosive, drug recognition device and a security fence.
Have you mostly observed the Lekhwiya vehicles? Did you know what their motivation was? Is their comfort to you? Do tell us in our Comments section. Like and share the article.